Re: Duplicating Oracle Databases

From: Mark Brady <brady.mark.md_at_bhp.com.au>
Date: 1996/08/13

In article <MPLANET.320fc68brwh989686_at_news.visi.com>, rwh_at_visi.com (Richard Hoffbeck) says:

>Hi,
>
>I'm trying to split a production/development database system onto
>two independent machines and I need to periodically freshen the
>data on the development system. The way its being handled currently
>is to dump the database to tape from the production system and then
>using the backup to rebuild the data on the development system. This
>is a real pain since it has to be done manually and takes the better
>part of a Saturday to freshen the data.
>
>Is there a better (in terms of speed or operator time) to occasionally
>replicate the production data into the development system?
>
>Thanks!
>
>--rick

Hi,
I have not personally tried it but to replicate data all you need to do is implement snapshots.

Mark Brady - Senior Computer Analyst
BHP Information Technology
Newcastle, NSW Australia
Telephone: 61 (49) 40-1638 Fax: 61 (49) 40-2165 e-mail: brady.mark.md_at_bhp.com.au Received on Tue Aug 13 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message