Re: HELP...Learning SQL

From: Didier Grandjean <Didier.Grandjean_at_Renault.Com>
Date: 1996/08/13

In article <4ulp3r$fee_at_news.internetmci.com>, vikram.karmarkar_at_internetMCI.com says...

>Here's the scenario:
>Each student is supposed to turn in 5 assignments(1 thru' 5 "assn_num"s)
>I have to create a report showing a list of "assn_num" missing
>for all the students who have not turned in all five assignments.
>
>Any help/hint/suggestion will be greatly appreciated!

I'm rather using DB2's SQL than Oracle's, but I'm afraid it's just the same : SQL can report on data in the database, while you're trying to report on data NOT stored. So I guess there is no proper way to do it. Try to build a reference table of available assn_num,it might help using a join with the students (to get all the valid student/assn_num), and then an outer join with your table to eliminate the existing assignments. Hope this can help. Good luck.

--
Didier Grandjean      RENAULT      E-Mail : Didier.Grandjean_at_Renault.com
Disclaimer: Opinions and statements are mine, and do not necessarily