Oracle Reports Error

From: Richard Foster <rafoster_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1996/08/12

   Okay Oracle gurus, show me your knowledge.

Potentially pertinent information:
Server: Oracle 7.1.4

        Solaris 2.4
        Oracle Reports 2.0 (moving to 2.5)

Error Encountered: ORA-01555 Snapshot too old(rollback segment too small)

I am running a sequence of reports from a C-Shell script using the R20RUN executable, and passing various parameters in through the use of a parameter file. The report that bombs is the last of about 8 or 9 reports that are run daily in a cron job. I have 4 rollback segments, one of which is a large RBS to accomodate transactions such as the one that is giving me an error. RTFM has revealed that I can force a transaction to use a specific RBS which would cure my problem here, if only I could tell Oracle Reports which RBS to use when I execute R20RUN.

TFM suggests that I can use "SET TRANSACTION USE ROLLBACK SEGMENT 'bigrbs'" at the beginning of the transaction. The first built-in trigger to fire is the "BEFORE FORM TRIGGER" (before parameter form). I inserted the SET TRANSACTION command in that trigger, which is obviously not at the beginning of the transaction.

So, how do I tell Oracle Reports to use rollback segment "bigrbs" when executing a report using R20RUN?

Rich Foster
rafoster_at_ix.netcom.com

--
Richard Foster           |But whoso committeth adultery with a woman
Ft Meade, MD             |lacketh understanding: he that doeth it