Re: Oracle & ODBC.

From: Fuzzy <grant_at_towersoft.com.au>
Date: 1996/08/12

Brad <Brad_at_X-net.net> wrote:

>I am having a major problem attaching to an Oracle 6.0 database.

>I am using Visual Basic 3.0 in windows 3.11 and trying to access Oracle
>with Intersolv's ODBC drivers. I am using SQL*Net Version 1.1.1.0. All
>I can end up with is the following error:

>ORA-03112: Host string syntax error connecting to oracle database.

>I get this same error when using the ODBC drivers from ORacle.

>Is there anyone out there that has seen this same problem and maby have
>an answer please e-mail me at Brad_at_X-net.net.

>Thanks Brad...

Brad,

Look in your ODBC administrator, at the Oracle datasource. The error says there is a syntax problem with the connect string. For SQL*Net v1.x, the connect string needs to be in the format

        P:SERVER_NAME:SID where

P is the network protocol (T for TCP/IP, I don't know the others)

SERVER_NAME is the IP address or Logical Name of the Server

SID is the SID of the Oracle database.

Check it out.

Ciao
Fuzzy