Re: normalisation vs denormalisation

From: Eric Mortensen <mortense_at_cibadiag.com>
Date: 1996/08/12

Amin Adatia wrote:

> Hi!
>
> > The real issue is that poor database
> > design effects not only speed, but also maintenence of code,
> > efficency of code, and storage of data.
>
> However, what is important is the speed with which the initial
> application is delivered. Everything elase is then within the budget of
> "maintenance". It is also unfortunate that there a developers who want
> to work on new projects but still keep this attitude towards database
> design. They end up doing 80% maintenance and disillusioned.
>
> Regards

Agree, delivery time is important, but I would summise that those databases which do not have enough design time put in, take longer development time before the maintenance stage of the remaining code then if they had spent the time correctly designing the database in the first place.

Eric MOrtensen
mortense_at_cibadiag.com Received on Mon Aug 12 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message