Re: Platinum's PlanAnalyzer vs. Quest Sortware's R*SQLab

From: Michael J. Hillanbrand II -- Dulcian, Inc. <mjhii_at_pop.erols.com>
Date: 1996/08/12

Joseph Y. Suh wrote:

> If anybody had chance to use or evaluate Platinum's PlanAnalyzer and/or
> Quest Software's R*SQLab, please let me know your experience. I am
> looking for a tool analyzing SQL statements, identifying offending SQL
> statements, and provide, recommend execution plans.
>
> Thank you for your response in advance.
>
> Joseph Suh
> Oracle DBA
> DB Technology, Inc.
> Atlanta, Georgia
>
> jysuh_at_inetnow.net.usa
>
> Tel:770-352-3165

SQLab has made my day and my clients more times than I can remember.

I am a HUGE SQLab fan. I have met the authors personally on a number of occasions and am fully confident in their ability and interest in providing a first class product and service. I do not go to a consulting assignment without SQLab (and Adhawk Monitor and Spacer) but by far the brightest of these jewel is SQLab.

These tools are great, but I have found them especially valuable in tuning third-party apps- which you figure the sql would come pre-tuned - yeah, right. I will not mention their names here but the financial arena has been lucrative for third party software providers.

On one job I was there an hour and pointing out that should be created - 20 minutes, saved over six hours, just that day.

Nothing takes the place of a solid well rounded DBA with a good work ethic, but these tools can actually make some of the druggery fun.

Quest can be reached via e-mail -- gil_at_quests.com

Michael J. Hillanbrand II                                Dulcian, Inc.
                   Oracle Data Base Administration
Voice: 215-773-7307                               Fax:    610-277-2966
mjhii_at_pop.erols.com                         mjh_at_salts.icpphil.navy.mil
                Delaware Valley Oracle Users Group, Inc.
Contact me for Newsletter ads, articles, book reviews & Website Info.