Re: Reports 2.5 - ASCII output-Help

From: Samuel E. Jones <sam_at_clark.net>
Date: 1996/08/12

Peter Rak (po080016_at_pop.ke.sanet.sk) wrote:
: Ron Mahon wrote:
: >
: > Jenny Farnham wrote:
: > >
: > > I'll set the scene..... I am developing a simple report
: > > in Reports 2.5 on a Unix workstation.
: > > I have set everything I know so that this report will come
: > > out CHARACTER-mode, 132 x 66, landscape. I've set the fonts
: > > ,size, etc just like the Oracle books have told me.... if
: > > it was in the bood regarding developing/running character mode
: > > reports I have read it/done it!
: > >
: > > Problem: When I run the report to screen - it looks great,
: > > and it actually is in ascii format (no fancy stuff)... However,
: > > when I go to run it to a FILE..... it seems to be only coming
: > > out in 80 character mode. I "vi"d the file and made it so the
: > > carriage returns would show up. The carriage returns show up at 80!
: > > I have even chosen the ascii driver from the "Choose Printer"
: > > choice.
: > >
: > > WHY - after all I have done.... does it only save it in 80 character
: > > mode? I'm going nuts. I hate this product to begin with but am
: > > forced to use it.
: > >
: > > Jennifer Farnham
: > > Access Graphics
: > > Boulder, Colorado
: > > --
: > > =======================================================
: > > Jennifer Farnham
: > > email: farnham_at_spot.colorado.edu or
: > > HomePage: http://spot.Colorado.EDU/~farnham/Home.html
: > Jennifer the problem is that the template you used is set for a laser
: > printer on 8.5*11 paper. In a rush we modified the report telling it to
: > print 230 char per line. The right way id to create a new template for
: > dot matrix printer. You can copy and modify one of the supplied
: > templates. I haven't had time to do it yet! please let me know how you
: > made out
: > Regards
: > Ron Mahon
: > --
: > ______ ______
: > (_____ \ (______)
: > _____) )___ ____ _ _ ___ ____
: > | __ // _ \| _ \| | | / _ \| _ \
: > | | \ \ |_| | | | | |__/ / |_| | | | |
: > |_| |_\___/|_| |_|_____/ \___/|_| |_|
:
:
: Hi,
:
: Set DESFORMAT to WIDE, or another PRT file with 132 columns width.
: Read about printer definition files.
:

   There is the other way to set up maxium 242 characters under line printer, font and 17.75 cpi. Set up 242 x 66 and set up 13.6 x 7.5 with and page heights. Also set up character display on the screen. It requires us to create a new printer defintion with escape string as commands for using landscape, 17.75 also force x=0 and y=0 at first page. I hope Oracle Corp. should give you the default printer defintion for using HPLaserJet (no postscript). After that, change 66 to 65 before you save the report in order to have 66th next page.
Have fun to do.
Sam

: Good Luck, Peter.