What's the best Development Platform ?

From: Greg Norris <norris_g_at_darwin.ntu.edu.au>
Date: 1996/08/11

I'm looking for the best development platform to guide the purchase of new machines and software.

Win95, win NT or 3.11 which do you prefer. What size & configuration of machine do you prefer?

Sorry the 1st post was a bit vague, I wrote it in a hurry and forgot to list the apps.

We use Oracle Forms 4.5, Reports 2.5, Browser, sqlplus etc. along with the Microsoft Office professional suite.

We are currently using DX2s and 4s with 16 Meg Ram and Windows 3.11 workstations off a 4.1 Novell network running on a DX4 with 64 Meg Ram & 2GiGs of HD.

We are sick and tired of the Oracle apps crashing and taking the whole workstation down with it.

I have proposed Win NT with 3 Megs Ram but my manager wants evidence that such a move would be worth while. I agree with his request and hence the call for unsponsored suggestions from the field.

Any help apreciated.
Greg Norris Received on Sun Aug 11 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message