Re: Sysdate time-resolution ?

From: Randy Dewoolfson <randyd_at_cais3.cais.com>
Date: 1996/08/11

Look at the v$timer table for 100ths of a second. The SYSDATE (any date) value only stores data to the second (no fractional seconds). If you want/need ordering of the rows on insert (not necessarily on commit) then you can use a non-cached sequence. Or if only one application is entering records, and you want the speed, then cache the sequence entries... this is a bit of a trade off...

You could of course also measure the system time using say C and then populate your own number field with microseconds or whatever...

Hope this helps
Randy :)

Alexander Moan (moan_at_sn.no) wrote:
: Hello oraclers !

: In our transaction-oriented database we need to make a time-stamp for every
: recived transaction. As several transactions are beeing processed every second
: i need to put hundredths(?) of a second in the timestamp.
: Sysdate handles this quite well, but..
: When I try to select the journal-table order by time-stamp I somethimes get the
: wrong answer !
: Transactions that i know are arriving in the right order show up as comming
: in reverse or any order.
: I suspect to_char(time_stamp,'HH24.MI.SS') to be the problem.
: It seems to be a problem with transactions within the same second frame.
: QUESTION :
: Is it possible to get 100.s and 1000.s of a second out of to_char or anyting
: else ?

: Our DB is running on 7.1.6. on Solaris 2.5 on a SS1000 machine.

: Thanks in advance !

: --
: ----------------------------------------------------------
: | Alexander Moan --:-) moan_at_sn.no |
: | Any statements I make are my own, and are not to be |
: | taken as an statement from my employer. |
: | |
: | Norwgian Defence Command Norway |
: | Home Guard Staff |
: | |
: | "Don't blame me, I just work here !" |

--
  .?$" '?i     .                              I  Randy DeWoolfson  I