Re: [Q] Field formatting. How do you split one field to four.

From: William A. Mertz <wmertz_at_infonet.net>
Date: 1996/08/11

>I have four fields, value 99 each and go to make one database field of
>ie 01||03 ||01||05 each set of two figures represent a description
>from an Lov (ie 4 diferent lovs make a discription that = A,B,C,D).
>How do i read the 8 numeric field from the database (ie on query) and
>split it into the four fields.
>I tried using a hidden box over the four 99 fields which would display
>for query mode and hide for insert but this is a bit messy.
>
>Any suggestions would be more than appreciated.
>Thanks, Michael

I have done similar things with triggers. Set up a hidden text object that is tied to the database, mark the others as non-database objects. Then use the post-query trigger to read the hidden item and populate the visible items.

You can use a pre-insert or pre-update trigger for putting the items together again before sending them back to the db.

Bill Received on Sun Aug 11 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message