Re: Do sites actually install Oracle themselves ? What a nightmare...

From: Andrew N. Ryan <genanr_at_thumper2.emsphone.com>
Date: 1996/08/10

Tu Van <lyt_at_airmail.net> wrote:
: I had the same problem on the Dec Alpha. It took me and the
: highly-paid consultants several weeks to successfuly installed it.
: Wow.... I wished there's a GUI installation (like InstallShield) in
: Windows environment for these products.

        It took me and a consultant about 3 long days to install Oracle 7.2 on  an SCO system. The biggest problem was a bug in one of their programs and we could not get the "standard package" to be created. I called tech support (US) and they didn't know what was happening. I can't exactly remember what happened but I was able to find out that there was a patch for the problem for a non-us Oracle support person. I have learn through a couple of experiences that if you need to call oracle tech support for install problems or whatever, you can save time by getting non-US support. Also Oracles scripts definitly could use improvement.

Andy    Received on Sat Aug 10 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message