Re: [Q] ORA-04031 unable to allocate shared memory

From: Andrew Knight <ack_at_tsm.co.uk>
Date: 1996/08/09

In article <4ub3bi$lsm_at_news2.cais.com>, MCC <duffy_at_cais.cais.com> writes
> I got an error message on client side said "ORA-04031; unable to allocate
>740 bytes of shared memory". I have following questions can someone help me on
>it:
>
> 1. Does their has a way to check how many free SGA Database has?
> 2. Someone told me use "select free_space from v$shared_pool_reserved"
> to check free space. The output I got always 0 even I use "alter
> system flush shared_pool". I shutdown database then start it
> up, the free_space still 0.
> 3. will this error write to any error log or not? Where is it?
> The Oracle server is reside on SUN Sparc with Solaris 2.5 and
> Oracle 7.2.3.
> 4. When this error happen I check their has onlt one user. Why the
> free_space is 0?
> 5. the "shared_pool_size = 9000000" on my init.ora. How big size
> should I change? How to match the size on SOLARIS /etc/system?
>
>Thank you for help.

Hi,

This is a known bug in 7.2. It is fixed in 7.3 and also a patch to 7.2 is available on the Enterprise BUT NOT the WorkGroup versions.

As a work around try setting the following variable in your init.ora;

shared_pool_reserved_size = 8196

Andrew Knight                                   e-mail: ack_at_tsm.co.uk
TSM Systems                                     tel   : +44 181 673 7750
London                                          fax   : +44 181 673 1335