Step Right Up and Test Your Tuning Skill!

From: John Dennis <jtdennis_at_atl.mindspring.com>
Date: 1996/08/07

... Trying to get creative with my "Subject:" :-)

Question:

What hidden queries does Oracle do to cause "buffer get(s)" during a insert?

or!

What in world can one do to reduce the time an insert takes?

I'm getting a large number of buffer gets while I'm performing a insert statement to a table and don't know why. The table has several (8) FK constraints which are contributing to the number of gets but not all of them. Also there is one unique (PK) and 10 non-unique indexes on the table. There are approx 32 buffer gets (16K blocks) for every row inserted.

I believe that (1) gets are performed to check the FK constraints are not violated and (2) gets are performed to check that any unique (PK, etc) constraints are not violated. These two might add 10 gets, tops, to the insert but I have no idea what the others are coming from.

Any clever ideas?

Virtually,    Received on Wed Aug 07 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message