Re: Connect internal

From: Oracle DBA <oracle_at_nightmare.com>
Date: 1996/08/07

In article <DvJvrp.8oA_at_matilda.vut.edu.au>, leng_at_cougar.vut.edu.au says...

>Yes, you need the right group and so forth. But remember
 to deassign
>TWO_TASK (unix) and ORA_DFLT_HOSTSTR (VMS) as well.
>
>HTH,
>Leng.
>
>Ken Johnson (ken.johnson_at_tapestry.com) wrote:
>: Steven Wallraf wrote:
>: >
>: > estokked_at_sn.no (Erlend Stokkedal) wrote:
>: >
>: > >I've problem with the command connect internal. I
 get the message
>: > >"Insufficient privileges" What has to be done ?

>: > >Regards Erlend:-)
>: >
>: > The user which you connect to your operating system
 has to be a member
>: > of the DBA group.
>: >
>: > On Unix -> /etc/group

>: You will also get this error if you are using SQL*DBA
 in screen mode, there is a password set on
>: internal, and you don't specify the password.

>: Try using:
>: CONNECT INTERNAL/your_internal_password_here
>: or
>: using SQL*DBA in line mode... SQLDBA71 lmode=y and
 then:
>: CONNECT INTERNAL

>: If this prompts you for a password then that was the
 problem, otherwise it may be what Steven
>: said.
>: --
>: -------------------------------------------------
>: Ken Johnson - Senior Technical Consultant
>: Tapestry Computing, Inc. http://www.tapestry.com
>
>--
>Leng Kaing
>DBA - Directory Technology P/L
>Email: lkaing_at_ventnds1.telecom.com.au
>Ph: +61-3-9892-9081 Fax: +61-3-9892-9344
>WWW: http://www.vut.edu.au/voug

Ok, this has gotten kinda out of hand. Here is basics to check.

  1. Check that your ORACLE_HOME is set properly
  2. make sure you are executing the sqldba or svrmgr(l|m) executable from the above ORACLE_HOME/bin.
  3. If you are on the server itself, make sure TWO_TASK is not set. If on a client make sure you use svrmgr(l|m) be sure that the sqlnet connection works before you try to connect internal

The only time you would be required to use a password is if you had the parameter in the init<sid>.ora that turns password checking on. Even if it is set to true in the init<sid>.ora it does not use the password unless you are connecting through a TWO_TASK connection.

4) Make sure you have ORACLE_SID set to a valid instance

   name.

Hope this helps Received on Wed Aug 07 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message