Mutating Table

From: CAM12784 <cam12784_at_aol.com>
Date: 1996/08/05

I am working on an application that has a parent and child table. The child table has a foreign key to the primary key of the parent table.

The user wants a POST-INSERT trigger on the parent table that will force a record to be inserted into the child table whenever a record is created in the parent table. The application also does not want to do a commit until both rows are created.

When the application was executed we got a Mutating Table error on the parent table. We corrected the error by disabling the foreign key constraint between the child table and the parent table.

We are running Oracle 7.1.6. Should I be able to do the POST-INSERT trigger with the foreign key constraint enabled? Or should the application be rewritten to insert and commit a record in the parent table before inserting a record in the child table.

Thanks for any suggestions. Please email answers to

       Chris_Marsolf_at_DADC.com Received on Mon Aug 05 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message