Re: how to compare Oracle vs SQL-Server?

From: <mikec_at_pcmail.pb.uiuc.edu>
Date: 1996/08/05

In article <32054736.5FC7_at_elmwood.com>, Bob Treumann <bobt_at_elmwood.com> writes:

>Can anyone point me to a resource to
>compare Oracle and
>SQL-Server on a feature by feature basis?
>Opinions
>from people who know both sytems well
>would be
>appreciated especially.
>

>Will post summary of replies received by
>email.

Might I suggest you examine them both based on the features you need? This 'let's make a chart to see which is better' mentality is precisely how microsoft's inferior products have come to dominate the home pc market - the bozo's that review these things never really consider useability, performance, elegance of design, they just count checkboxes. A small example that drives me batty: In the enterprise manager for sqlServer when you create an index, you're locked out of the whole application. You can't use the EM to examine or modify anything else - you have to wait for it to finish (thank goodness you can schedule most of these for late at night). Yet all the reviews care about is 'GUI for database maintainence - Check'. Of course most of these reviewers have only home/desktop windows experience, so they don't know what real multitasking can be like. Yikes! Sorry for the rant, it's just that looking for the manner in which these various products execute the features you need/desire would serve you better than a feature list. I mean, both Michael Jordan and I play basketball. <G>

Mike