Re: How analagous is Personal Oracle 7.1 to the other Oracles

From: Keith Majkut <kmajkut_at_netcom.com>
Date: 1996/08/03

In article <32027177.5685_at_riscan.com>, James Allore <allorej_at_riscan.com> wrote:
>Hi!
>
>I have a client who has asked me to look into taking their
>established MS Access program and linking it to an Oracle
>backend (they like the front end interface and want to keep
>it). I set up Personal Oracle 7 (PO7) on a Windows for
>Workgroups 3.11 machine, exported some tables from Access
>into Oracle, then reattached these tables to the Access
>program. After fighting with the combination for a while, I
>began to wonder how analagous PO7 is to other Oracle
>versions. The client is using an Oracle database on a UNIX
>box, and running it across a WAN. My PO7 seems to be limited
>to the local (Intel) computer. Also, it seems like Oracle
>requires Oracle client/server software to share it across a
>network, you can't just reach across the network and connect?
>I don't know much about Oracle, but PO7 seems to be limited
>in features in comparison to other database products (i.e no
>triggers?), is it limited in comparison to "full blown"
>Oracle as well?
No, it's not. If you didn't install the PLSQL options, then you didn't get triggers. PO7 is limited in that it can't be a server(no incoming connections from the network, but you can connect fine from the same machine. The same is true for PO7 on Win95. Received on Sat Aug 03 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message