Re: That flakey little animal called SNAPSHOT -- pl. comment

From: Leng Kaing <leng_at_cougar.vut.edu.au>
Date: 1996/08/03

I've had a lot of troubles with automatic snapshot refreshes. These were simply snapshots - like your emp and dept. And they never refreshed automatically. There were 2 persistent errors - instantiation failure of the snapshot processes or failure in snapshot refresh path. After many many calls to Oracle, and talking to many of their "experts", they suggested that I give them a login to our system or get a very expensive consultant out to see our site. Heehee.

So we have abandoned all hopes on this. BTW: I've tried it on Oracle 7.0.16, 7.1.3 and 7.1.5 of VMS 6.1 and 6.2. Talk about persistence, eh? I've also heard from oracle-l that automatic snapshot refreshes also fails on a number of various platforms. HP may have been one of them.

My sympathies,
Leng.

Rajiv Tandon (rajiv.tandon_at_bridge.bellsouth.com) wrote:
: Chuck Hamilton wrote:
: > *** snip ***
: >
: > Where is dbms_snapshot.purge documented. I've never heard of it?
: >

: Appreciate your comments.

: My mistake. The package is DBMS_SNAPSHOT.PURGE_LOG (not,
: DBMS_REFRESH.PURGE) and it is documented in the ORACLE 7 Server
: Administrator's Guide (Sec. 16-14 to 16-15). I do however, have an old
: copy (Part #6694-70-1292).

: Please note though that the Oracle 7 Server Documentation Addendum
: (Sec. 8-5) states that it replaces (Sec 16-5 to 16-9) of the
: Server Admin. Guide, so I take it, the package is unaffected.

: Rajiv Tandon
: DBA Consultant
: The Phoenix Project
: BellSouth