advice sought in obtaining an oracle position

From: STEPHEN LEONARD ROBERTS <STEVE_at_chigtow.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1996/08/03

Hi

Can anyone advice me on the best way to redirecting my career back into oracle after a few years away.

MY problem is that most agencies I go through say my skills are far to out of date.

        I have 24 years in a varied technical background. ie Electronics, software, comms, systems, Project management.

        Amidst all this I also have approx 6 yrs experience of oracle ver 4 and 6. During this period (86/91) I single handedly designed, developed, administered and operated a PC based Oracle system. Originally this was based in one office. Ultimately we ended up with a system which operated over a number of offices round the country (although each system was independant) data migration was via floppy disks, after all client server LANS/WANS etc was only just emerging).

Data was pulled in both electronically from mainframes and entered manually via oracle forms and forms programmed in basic.

I gained all these skills in what would be considered a Blue chip high tech company. My oracle skills/knowledge was self taught.

I have good SQL skills and forms development experience report writer dbase admin and a good appreciation of relational theory.

My knowledge of oracle internals is limited and what I do know is probably out of date.

I have recently updated my oracle skills with oracles workgroup 2000. The basics still seem the same as before.

Can some one from the sharp end tell me if this lack of upto date oracle experience would be a problem.

Also would my previous experience of working in a PC environment restrict my value in the mini/mainframe environment when it comes to programming and forms generation.

I would appreciate any advice on the best approach to getting back on the oracle track. Can any one suggest a good agency etc.

With so much oracle work apparently around there must be something for me.

Thanks

steve roberts

--
steve roberts