Re: ops$ logins from both secure and nonsecure clients with same username

From: Ed Bruce <bruce_at_ha.hac.com>
Date: 1996/08/02

Mark Citron wrote:

> I dont think that is what I am asking. I just want to know how Oracle
> knows whether whether my client system is secure or not. If it believes
> it is secure it should let me login. If is believes it is not it should
> ask for a password. How does it know what windows is not secure?

I've been looking into this myself and according to the Oracle documentation they say don't use ops$ logins if you have clients on non-secure systems. The reason is users on Windows machines can set their id to anything and therefore can get into your system without a password.

So the answer is Oracle doesn't know or differentiate between secure and non-secure systems if you enable ops$ style logins.

Ed Bruce
Systems Engineer - DBA
Hughes Aircraft Company
bruce_at_ha.hac.com Received on Fri Aug 02 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message