Re: Informix: First impressions

From: Nils Myklebust <Nils.Myklebust_at_ccmail.telemax.no>
Date: 1996/08/01

billy_at_west.co.za (Billy Wheeler) wrote:

:>
:> aak2_at_Ra.MsState.Edu (Atif Ahmad Khan) wrote:
:>
:> :After trying the Oracle trial versions on NT and Solaris x86
:> :I am completely disgusted with the product and the company
:> :(they cant even write install scripts without making blunders)
:> :and looking for a better solution.
:>
:> Very understandable (although it *is* better).

:What's this, Nils, a touch of levity? :-)

When you cut any post completly appart you can get strange meanings. It should be prety clear from mine that I meant Informix is better than Oracle :-)

But the "Very understandable"-part didn't refer to the above quoted part either. That was a critisism of Informix. Allways make sure you critisise the best performer. They need to get better to stay ahead.

:> You do also want to look into Illustra and Universal Server. That's a
:> real revolution going on in the database industry now, and something
:> you can't get anywhere but from Informix. It's likely to take the
:> others years to get to the level these products represents.

:Amen - this is where databases are going. Anybody have any idea on Illustra
:pricing?

Heard something like $1290 for something. Don't know how many users or what else is included though.

Nils.Myklebust_at_ccmail.telemax.no
NM Data AS, P.O.Box 9090 Gronland, N-0133 Oslo, Norway My opinions are those of my company Received on Thu Aug 01 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message