Re: Paradox to Oracle and setting to NULL

From: Robert Griffing <marlan_at_wt.net>
Date: 1996/07/31

Simon Thompson wrote:

> I use Paradox as one of my tools to an Oracle 7.3 database. Is there anyway to
> set an Oracle field to NULL without using pass-through SQL? I.e., using a
> TCuursor?HI Simon

Are you refering to strings or all vairables? You did not say what version of Pdox but all versions of Pdox WIN have consistant presentation in the docs. Borland does not have the exact detailed specification in their manuals on nulls but say that Blank, err and unassigned are distinct and considered different. I would have expected Blank to fail when exported as I saw somewhere it is a particular integer for the Longint data type. These three null values may be defined by thier properties which are seperate from the value.
What is a null value with Oracle?
Even C handels the concept in two
separate ways. You can have an array of
char where you use use a pointer to the first char and define the length. Alternately you can have a string where the length is arbitary. A pointer defines the first and a null char defines the end.
Why not try the unAssign method?
Post the results of your problem solution.

Marlan Software	 		Robert Griffing
10675 Ivy Ridge                 mailto://marlan_at_wt.net
Houston, Texas  77043		Phone (713)467-1548