Re: Sybase v/s Oracle

From: RGCramotte <rgcramotte_at_aol.com>
Date: 1996/07/30

In article <31FE3B8B.4097_at_computerland.net>, Jason Salem <jasonds_at_computerland.net> writes:

> I'd recommend Oracle for it's better handling of
>the following: locks - in MS-SQL readers block writers (as in sybase)
>which brings about the recomendation for a separate report box.

Just wanted to clarify locks on Sybase. If I issue a select on a table, I am not impending the writers on that table in Sybase. If I issue a select with holdlock within a "begin tran", then I will impend writers.

But that is an application issue. Why select with holdlock? Because there is a reason for that application. It's you choice. The default select does NOT use holdlock.

Best Regards,
Richard Cramotte, Jr.
Sybase DBA Received on Tue Jul 30 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message