Odd experience with Oracle documentation

From: Walter Zimmer <wzimmer_at_atair.rz.uni-ulm.de>
Date: 1996/07/30

Hi !

I'm just now in a somewhat disappointed state so all I ask is if these experiences I made are common.

My Problem is:
My wow-Oracle-Account (scott at the moment) which gets accessed by wow needs to read a table from another schema. So I went into sqlplus, logged in with scott/tiger and typed:
'SELECT * from <other_schema>.<table>;' and it worked great !

Now, for wow I need to put this in a package and every time I try to compile this I get 'PLS-00201: Must declare <other_schema>.<table>'

Now, to make a long story short, I looked for the solution through the whole documentation using find extensively, including a third-party-book, and didn't find any hint that PL/SQL treats schemas any other way than sqlpus does, the PL/SQP Users Guide and Reference even shows that a schema can be prefixed to a table. Do I need to declare it ? The term 'schema' appears only once in the PL/SQL Users Guide and Reference.

As I get more experience with Oracle, it shows that I waste more and more time trying to locate information which is at an unknown location somewhere in another really-not-thought-of manual.

Have you made similar experiences with Oracle documentation ? If not, what strategies are you using to locate such information ?

Thanks for sharing your experiences,
Walter

walter.zimmer_at_rz.uni-ulm.de Received on Tue Jul 30 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message