Re: RAID5 and ORACLE

From: Strategic Data Systems <sds_at_dataplusnet.com>
Date: 1996/07/29

In article <4t9377$97r_at_newsbf02.news.aol.com>, dpetro_at_aol.com says...

>I was just involved with an Oracle install on an IBM SP/2 machine. We
>originally configured for RAID5 but Oracle reps. were strongly against
>anything other that RAID0 because of potential performance impact of
>RAID5. Unfortunately, I can't give you any practical results since I've
>moved elsewhere for a better opportunity.

On an IBM RS/6000 we have a RAID box and mirrored disks.

The RAID is actually faster when doing an import than the mirrored disks.

These variables come into play:

  • write cache on RAID is essential
  • I/m not sure of the 'raw' speed of the RAID vs. the mirrored disk's;

So, you 'mileage' may vary.

Scott Overby
sds_at_dataplusnet.com Received on Mon Jul 29 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message