Re: Another SQL question

From: Amine Y. Tarhini <atarhini_at_ringer.cs.utsa.edu>
Date: 1996/07/29

elevi_at_napanet.net writes:
>Amine Y. Tarhini wrote:

  [deleted for brevity]

>How badly would it screw up your data if you inserted into your
>inventory table dummy records containing every combination of make and
>color?
>
>That way you could
>select yr, car, color, count(*)-1
>from inventory
>group by yr, car, color
>
>This is a corruption of the data and would need to be documented
>carefully but it should give you an improvement in performance

  Thanks for your suggestion. Since I am not allowed to alter the data   in the database I won't be able to test this, though.   (At the company I work for, I'm way down the command chain. I'm afraid    if I do this, that command chain will turn into a food chain, and    who would want to be way down on one of those?! :)

  On a serious note, I have received a couple of other suggestions, which   I'm going to try and report on shortly.

  Thanks again for your help.

--
Amine.
atarhini_at_ringer.cs.utsa.edu

The above views are mine only ... etc. etc.