Re: Oracle Backward Recovery

From: David J DeWolfe <sxdjd_at_orca.alaska.edu>
Date: 1996/07/26

Hi all;

I would presume the scenario the original poster was wondering about would be one where you would read backwards through the last few online/archive redo logs undoing transactions, as opposed to restoring the necessary datafiles and rolling forward through *many* archive log files. We have this capability with our IDMS databases running on our MVS machine, and the few times we needed to roll backward, it was always fun to watch the tapes fast-forward to the EOT marker, and then start reading backwards through the journal (equivilant to oracle logs) entries. And, no, I know of no rollbackward support in Oracle.

--

David J. DeWolfe
Systems Programmer

In a vicious struggle for survival intelligence emerges as the weapon of
 choice. - Nova, In Search of Human Origins