Oracle vs SqlServer

From: Virdee <virdee_at_bhrc.co.uk>
Date: 1996/07/26

Is there any published comparison between Oracle and SqlServer? With new latest versions of these databases being released I assume any comparison may not be up to date. Perhaps someone can give some ideas on what to look out for during our evaluation of the above databases.

Briefly our application will have the following characteristics

  1. Approx 30 users over a lan
  2. Approx 20 users over an ISDN Wan (10 remote sites with 2 users each)
  3. Hold 20,000 records of one-type on which a search will be done
  4. The application is used in a Point-of-Sale and telesales environment, therefore the search therefore has to be very efficient and since there is an ISDN connection, the transaction times have to be small
  5. The same database will be accessed over the Internet (thru a firewall of course). Our current research shows that we may have over 200 user sesssions a day which are all database intensive.
  6. The number of Internet users is likely to increase rapidly as our publicity campaign kicks in.

Perhaps we should consider an alternative to the above two database. The development environment is likely to be NT and we may use Powerbuilder 5.0.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated. I can be emailed on mailto:virdee_at_bhrc.co.uk

Thank you

J Virdee
London, UK Received on Fri Jul 26 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message