Re: Help-Database name and Oracle Objects for OLE

From: Winston Douglas <wdouglas_at_istar.ca>
Date: 1996/07/25

Brett V. Gaspers wrote:

> I'm currently evaluating Microsoft Excel 5.0c accessing Personal Oracle7
> running on Win95 through Oracle Objects for OLE (OO4O). The installation
> of PO7 and OO4O is about as plain vanilla as it gets: straight off the
> trial version CD (4.1). I'm currently trying to get the Excel/VBA sample
> file on the CD to work against the sample database installed from the CD.
>
> My problem: I have no clue as to what the database name is! Every time I
> try to open a connection to Oracle with the OpenDatabase method, I get the
> error message "Unable to make connection, ORA-03121 no interface driver
> connected". I've tried using "2", "2:", "2:orcl", and "orcl" as the
> database name and nothing works.
>
> Does anyone know how to get the database name? Or what might be going on
> here? Could it be some configuration problem with SQL*NET? I have not
> defined any alias for the database in SQL*NET Easy Configuration. I have
> both TCP/IP and SPX protocols installed under Win95.
>
> The intent of my test (once I get the examples to work) is to convert some
> queries we currently submit to an Oracle Enterprise Server via ODBC to
> OO4O and see what kind of speed gain we get.
>
> Many thanks in advance,
>
> Brett

> OBJECTIVE INSIGHTS
> Business Analysis for the Healthcare Industry
>
> Brett V. Gaspers, Managing Director
> e-mail: bgaspers_at_oinet.com
>
> Warum einfach, wenn es auch kompliziert geht?
> -German engineering proverb
The Personal Oracle7 database that is created by default is usually "oracle" or "oracle7". However, sometimes you need to manually create the database or run the database installation script if the database is not created. Check your Oracle bin directory if there are any control or other database files. This is where the databas files for the default database are usually created.

Good Luck Received on Thu Jul 25 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message