Re: RAID5 and ORACLE

From: Albert W. Dorrington <awdorrin_at_mail.delcoelect.com>
Date: 1996/07/25

In article <31F7829B.4B6_at_luc.ac.be>, Jan Timmermans <jtimmerm_at_luc.ac.be> writes:
|> Hi,
|>
|> Can anyone give some infomation or remarks about the use of a RAID5
|> system with an ORACLE server.
|> We are setting up an ORACLE databank on an NT server and where wondering
|> what the consequences would be of using RAID5: security, perfomance,

        I admin a server which runs Oracle 6 with 20GB of RAID 5 disk arrays. Performance with the RAID arrays has not been an issue at all - but it all depends upon how your database will be accessed. If the majority of access will be READING then you may actually see a performance boost over standard disks. Writing may be a little slower.

        As for 'security' I assume you mean, how well is the data protected from failure, not from 'hackers'. I've lost up to two disks in an array without losing a single bit of data. The database just kept cruising along. :)

  • Al
--
Al Dorrington
awdorrin_at_ictest.delcoelect.com                     Database Admin