Re: Cost Based Optimizier

From: Steve Lemme <rp1399_at_email.sps.mot.com>
Date: 1996/07/25

In article <31F769D2.49F_at_daac.gsfc.nasa.gov>, joanne_at_daac.gsfc.nasa.gov wrote:

> Christopher Naya wrote:
>
> > I am using 7.0.16.8.4 and use the cost-based optimizer successfully. I
> > will tell you, however, that I use the 'compute statistics' clause for
> > every table and .............

 When we re-ran the analyze, the sqls again improved. We
> now run an analyze on all of our tables on a regular basis using a
> cron job and have had no problems. We are using 7.1.4.1.0.
> --
> Joanne Woytek
> joanne_at_daac.gsfc.nasa.gov
> Code 902
> NASA/GSFC
Yes that is correct, unless your database is fairly stagnant, then you need to Analyze the database on a set interval. For some folks that could be daily, weekly or monthly. I have many CRON jobs for this activity. Some are split to relieve the load that the analyze creates.

Steve Lemme
DBA
Motorola

--