Re: How to find SID?

From: Naren Chintala <naren_at_mink.att.com>
Date: 1996/07/25

Hi James,

jawalker_at_pbis.com (James A. Walker) wrote:

>> How can you find the oracle database you are connected to
 once you are
>> connected? I've got the userid but need to the database to
 later perform
>> an OP$ login back into oracle.
>> - Che
>
>If your are using a version 7 server try:
>
> select * from global_name;
>
>If version 6 try:
>
> select * from v$parameter
> where name = 'db_name';

The above sql statements are valid if the ORACLE_SID and the DB_NAME are the same.

What if the ORACLE_SID and the DB_NAME are different? How do I find out the ORACLE_SID from within sqlplus.

I can set the ORACLE_SID=TEST and mount & open the database whose name is TST.

Does my question sound OK?

Thanks for your reply

Naren Chintala
naren_at_mink.att.com Received on Thu Jul 25 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message