Re: Delphi 2.0 vs. Powerbuilder 5.0

From: Jolyon Smith <smitj_at_platinum.com>
Date: 1996/07/24

Craig Wagner wrote:

> Euan Garden <epg_at_valstar.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >Personally speaking I am working in a mixed PB / Delphi environment
> >but we are about to make a decision to use a single tool and
> >if that tool is PB (5 or not) I will be seeking a different
> >employer.
>
> That's your right, and it's certainly one I've recommended to people
> in the past, but it does seem rather immature to me. A tool is a tool
> and if my employer were to decide to switch I'd dig in and learn the
> new one until I was as proficient with it as I was with PowerBuilder.
> And the PB positions still outnumber the Delphi ones in
> comp.soft-sys.powerbuilder by 2:1, with higher rates for PB
> generally speaking. The Delphi rates seem to be more in the
> dBase/Paradox range. If you want to take less money to work with
> Delphi that's your business, but it also seems rather childish.

Consider two children, each holding his/her pet hamster. Two men approach them, each offering sweets in exchange for the pets. Both men have enough sweets to convince the children to swap their hamsters, but one man has more sweets than the other.

One child simply takes the most sweets on offer.

The other child asks each man what they intend to do with the hamster. Regardless of the number of sweets on offer, the child only exchanges the hamster if it is going to be looked after, even if that means fewer sweets.

Would you like to revise your assertion that integrity and conviction in personal and social values is childish, and that financial motivation is mature?

Just my thought for the day.

 Jolyon Smith                        |  These views are my own and not
 Application Development Consultant  |  necessarily representative of
 PLATINUM Solutions (UK)             |  the views of my employer.
 Other forms of communication supported:
 CompuServe    :  72660,617
 Internet Mail :  smithjt_at_dircon.co.uk
 Web URL       :  http://www.users.dircon.co.uk/~smithjt/home.html