Re: Naming conventions

From: Simon <jb85_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: 1996/07/24

ron.heeb_at_csun.edu (Ron Heeb) wrote:

>I'm trying to come up with some naming conventions for my
>programmers/analysts to follow but am having a hard time settling on
>anything, especially with the FHD. Any help appreciated...ron

I use the following convention: Name your top level function for one area (eg a Personnel system) as <xxx>TOP. So for Personnel, it may be that you decide on PERSTOP.

Then I use a numbering system like you would with bullet points to show the function hierarchy. You get the full meaning of the function from it's description text, and the name of the function shows you which area it belongs to, and at roughly want level of decomposition you are working with, all in one glance. (See badly drawn ASCII example below)

YMMV :-)

                           | PERSTOP |
                           -----------

                   -----------------------------
                   |                           |
                   |                           |
                ---------                  ---------
                | PERS1 |                  | PERS2 |

                                  | PERS2.1 |             | PERS2.2 |
--
Simon Holt --  System Designer/DBA
** My opinions are not nescessarily those of my employers **