Row Versioning

From: Aleksandr Bayevskiy <alexb_at_escape.com>
Date: 1996/07/24

I have a question about row versioning under Oracle 7.3, and perhaps someone can help me out. Currently, we are in the midst of converting a SQLServer 6.5 database over to Oracle. Under SQLServer, the rowver is maintained in each table by means of a timestamp, a unique hexadecimal number that is incrimented each time the row is updated. We were considering using the date as a rowver, but apparently Oracle does not include nanoseconds in it's date datatype. We cannot use the Oracle ROWID since this is a constant value. We are thinking about creating a sequence and simply using the NEXTVAL each time the row is updated. Any other suggestions?

  • Shyam Oberoi > scoberoi%thor_at_mcimail.com

Please respond to scoberoi%thor_at_mcimail.com Received on Wed Jul 24 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message