Re: Upgrade issues -- COFF & ELF

From: <kneubaue_at_standard.com>
Date: 1996/07/23

> From: john_at_americantv.com. (John Bechtel)
> Newsgroups: comp.databases.oracle,comp.sys.sequent
> Subject: Upgrade issues -- COFF & ELF
>
> We are currently running Dynix/ptx 2.1.2 on a Sequent S2000, with several
> Oracle databases all running 7.1.6. We plan to upgrade to ptx 4.1.3 within
> the next few weeks.
>
> Problem: ptx 2.1.2 is COFF format, 4.1.3 is ELF format.
> Oracle DB's are alsi COFF format.
>
> Question: Is it possible to run a COFF based database on an ELF based OS?
> If so, what needs to be done to accomplish this, if anything?
> Are there parameters to set, patches required, etc?
>
> Oracle support assured me that this can not be done. I find this hard to
> believe. Any and all help will be appreciated.
> Please email me directly with responses, as I don't often get a chance to
> read the newsgroups. I will post a summary of all responses received.

YES you can run a COFF based database on an ELF based system, we are doing it, no problems. The basic thing you have to remember is to set the variable OBJ_FORM=COFF;export OBJ_FORM for the Oracle user id. And make sure that the ROOT id variable set to ELF. But this is really a NO-BRAINER.

We took our existing db binarys and just dump/restored them onto our 4.1.x platform.

We plan on moving to the same version, but ELF based binary of the DB later this year.

Ken Neubauer
Standard Insurance Co. Received on Tue Jul 23 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message