Re: Script to handle hanging shutdowns

From: Jared Still <jared_at_psnw.com>
Date: 1996/07/23

jfordhill_at_gnn.com (J Ford Hill) wrote:

>Some of our databases hang on shutdown and this prevents our backup script
>from getting a good backup. Does anyone have a script that:
> 1) attempts a shutdown
> 2) checks to make sure the shutdown worked
> AND
> 3) If the shutdown failed, does a shutdown abort, startup,
> and clean shutdown???

>I have these specific questions about the above process:

> 1) How do you detect if your database did not shut down cleanly.
> Is the existance of the 'sgadef' file the key?

> 2) Can a unix script fork off another process that sleeps for a
> few minutes and then does the shutdown abort if the "sgadef"
> still exists?

>Thanks in advance.

Why bother to try a nice shutdown at all? You're going to shut it down anyway if it fails.

For 7.0 databases ( shutdown immediate doesn't always work on 7.0 )

	shutdown abort
	startup restrict
	shutdown

Database > 7.0

	shutdown immediate
	startup restrict
	shutdown

Jared Still, Oracle DBA
RxNet, Division of Value Health
"All opinions are mine, no one else wants them" jared_at_psnw.com Received on Tue Jul 23 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message