Re: Formula for disk space?

From: <john.loring_at_cplc.com>
Date: 1996/07/23

> handy_at_telerama.lm.com (handy) writes:
> Does anyone know a formula for calculating disk space required based on the
> number of tables and columns. I am not looking for an exact fomula. But
> something that will give me a rough idea of how much disk space is required
> to hold a certain number of records. I can expand the database based on this
> number. Also we need to tell our customers how big of a hard drive they need
> to purchase. I will greatly appreciate if anyone could help.
>
> Thanks.

There are formulas in the Oracle7 Server documentation, which can be added to a spreadsheet. For quick calculations, I have found the following to be helpful:

data area = rows times bytes per row (varchar2 compression compensates for Oracle overhead) index area = 2 times rows times bytes in index (Oracle overhead is considerable)

Dont forget to account for additional rollback segments, temp space, system space as well... Received on Tue Jul 23 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message