Re: Accessing a large table

From: Anton Dischner <dischner_at_med.uni-muenchen.de>
Date: 1996/07/22

Hi Deon,

i'd call a 25million rows table medium sized. I run such beasts for years now.

My top tip is: make (one or several!) indexes, even if they use gigabytes of memory.
Try to include a sortable field (timedate, julian day or so).

With good indexes i am able to access data without worrying about size.

Next tip is: Always work like this.

Create table temp_table from big_table where index_field between a and b;

or

Create table temp_table from big_table where index_field > number;

Make as less as possible where clauses in the first step.

create index on you r small table>

make whatever you want.

drop small table.

That's the way i do it. Every other way causes headaches for me.

Best regards,

Toni

--
A. Dischner, SGI&AIX sysadmin, Oracle DBA       | Don't let friends
Institut fuer Klinische Chemie                  | use WinDose