Row Versioning

From: Aleksandr Bayevskiy <alexb_at_escape.com>
Date: 1996/07/22

 I have a question about row versioning under Oracle 7.3, and perhaps someone  can help me out. Currently, we are in the midst of converting a SQLServer 6.5
 database over to Oracle. Under SQLServer, the rowver is maintained in each  table by means of a timestamp, a unique hexadecimal number that is  incriminated each time the row is updated. We were considering using the date
 as a rowver, but apparently Oracle does not include nanoseconds in it's date  datatype. We cannot use the Oracle ROWID since this is a constant value. We  are thinking about creating a sequence and simply using the NEXTVAL each time  the row is updated. Any other suggestions?

Please respond to email address : scoberoi%thor_at_mcimail.com Received on Mon Jul 22 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message