Re: Sqlnet 2.1 leaves session alive after user reboots resulting in record locking.

From: Gary Eckhardt <gary_eckhardt_at_realworld.com>
Date: 1996/07/22

David Shaw wrote:

> Oracle's solution is to kill the session either at the operating
> system level or with the server manager. There must be a better
> solution, preferably one that would prevent the problem in the first
> place. Have we overlooked something and not set up, or configured
> Sqlnet properly? Is there a time out function to automatically clean up
> lost connections?

When I called Oracle on this problem, they suggested creating or modifying the user's profile to detect a certain amount of idle time. This works "OK", but I feel it's not the best solution. But, at least it's an option that you might want to consider.

Gary Eckhardt              |   "in this day & age...music performed by
Database Consultants, Inc. |    humans...hum!?"  --wilde silas tomkyn
dcigary_at_txdirect.net       |                R,DW,HAHB!
gary_eckhardt_at_realworld.com| R^3 = "Real World. Real Smart. Real Quick."
(210)344-6566 | http://www.realworld.com/ Received on Mon Jul 22 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message