Re: ORA-12154

From: Robert L. McMillen <rmcmille_at_csac.com>
Date: 1996/07/21

Daniel Sauter wrote:

> Melisa Mrazik <mmrazik_at_tiger.ctc.citicorp.com> wrote:
>
> >I had a similar problem and Oracle support told me that Oracle Power
> >Objects cannot interface with any version of SQL*Net after 2.1.x. As
> >soon as I unloaded v 2.2 and installed 2.1, the connection worked fine.

> >Hope this helps,
> >Melisa

> >--
> >|Melisa Mrazik, Systems Officer | "I quote others only in |
> >|Citicorp, N.A. Westlake, TX | order to better express |
> >|melisa.mrazik_at_citicorp.com | myself." -Michel de Montaigne|
>
> I've also received that message. My problem was that the client PC
> that I was running from didn't have the updated SQLNET.ORA file in the
> C:\ORAWIN\NETWORK\ADMIN directory, the default directory for the
> SQL*Net V2 client files. The SQLNET.ORA file is created using the
> Network Manager program. In my case, the client was still the using
> default fle supplied by Oracle. I believe the critical line in
> SQLNET.ORA was "names.default_domain = xxxxx" where xxxx is your
> domain name. The default is "us.oracle.com" and I was using "world"
> It seemed a bit strange because I I wasn't even using Oracle Names but
> when I copied the SQLNET.ORA file that I generated to the client
> machine, everthing worked fine. Hope this helps.
>
> Daniel Sauter
> dsauter_at_realia.com

Well...The SQL*NET Admin Guide discusses it in the Appendix B under Common Error Messages. ORA-12154 TNS:could not resolve service name

I quote:
This error points to a problem related to the tnsnames.ora file. The service name specified cannot be located in the tnsnames.ora file. 1. Verify tnsnames.ora file exists on the client in c:/orawin/network/admin/ 2. Check that service name is mapped to a connect descriptor in the tnsnames.ora file and modify if not correct.
3. Make sure there are no syntax errors in the tnsnames.ora file. Look for unmatched parenthesies or stray characters.

My comments:
When you connected you probably used a connect string of "tns:xxxxx". If xxxxx is not listed in the tnsnames.ora file you will get this error. The tnsnames.ora file listing should say:
xxxxx =

        (DESCRIPTION = (and so on...)

I've also gotten it when there were errors in the syntax of the file (like the msg says above).
rmcmille_at_csac.com Received on Sun Jul 21 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message