Re: Performance Problems w/ 7.0.16.6

From: Robert L. McMillen <rmcmille_at_csac.com>
Date: 1996/07/21

Tony Uliano wrote:

> I have run into a very strange problem, that I would very much
> appreciate some help with.
>
> I have a client that is running HP-UX 9.0 and Oracle 7.0.16.6 on
> an HP T-500. I have noticed a well above average percentage of
> system time being used versus user time. When I run large
> queries, I see the system space utilization of the CPUs shoot up,
> but I should see user space utilization increase in subsequent
> trials.
>
> Any help that someone could give me would be great. you can
> either e-mail via Compuserve "717102, 57" or my e-mail address:
> auliano_at_amconsulting.com, or call me at (804)777-9310.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards,
> Tony Uliano
> AM Consulting, L.L.C.
> (804)777-9310

Tony,

The HP's tend to run a bit high on systems utilization compared to other systems. You will need to provide more info before someone can help you. What is the application?
Is it OLTP or batch?
How many users?
Is it client/server or terminals?
What are your initxxxx.ora parameters?
How big is the SGA and how may shared memory segments are you using? These are few questions that should be answered...

Try printing out the statistics in V$SYSSTAT and looking at them to determine if you are getting any unusual occurrences. The Server Utilities Users' Guide describes many of the statistics.

This is a start, hope it helps.

rmcmille_at_csac.com Received on Sun Jul 21 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message