Re: Problems on NT

From: Fred Puhan <fjp_at_his.com>
Date: 1996/07/20

Two suggestions (that have worked for us on a number of NT servers):

Obtain and apply the latest Service Pack (four was just released) from Microsoft.

Then... obtain and apply SSD 18 from Compaq. There is something in the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) from Microsoft that causes this type of problem on Compaqs. It's even more noticeable on multiprocessor machines.

In article <4smit2$jua_at_news.mel.aone.net.au>, kat <admin_at_vdoj.vic.gov.au> wrote:

>Compaq Proliant
>64 Mb RAM
>NT 3.51
>Oracle RDBMS V7.2.2.4.3
>

>We are running the above setup and are getting 2 different errors.
>We are getting ORA-4031 [Out of shared memory when trying to
>allocate 688 bytes] and an Access Violation.
>
>We have upped the SHARED_POOL_SIZE to 5MB, have tried ALTER SYSTEM
>FLUSH SHARED POOL (only a temporary solution anyway), and have tried
>seeing if any packages need to be pinned (none are candidates). We
>upgraded the RDBMS from V7.2.2.4.0 to V7.2.2.4.3, which should have
>fixed this but we are still getting the ORA-4031 error.
>The problem is with Oracle Response but does anyone have a similar
>experience?
>
>We are also getting ACCESS VIOLATIONS by ORACLE72.EXE reported in
>Dr.Watson, and the database crashes. No messages are issued to the
>Alert log. The problems may be connected, I'm not sure.
>
>Any advice would be appreciated, a fix is becoming urgent.
>
>TIA,
>
>Andy Horne

| fjp_at_his.com ||| "If it sounds good, it IS good." -- Duke Ellington |