Re: Loading Access data directly into Oracle

From: Chuck Hamilton <chuckh_at_dvol.com>
Date: 1996/07/20

ae244_at_FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Gilles Vautour) wrote:

>We need to move data from ACCESS to Oracle. I know we can do it via
>SQLLoader, but is there some way to do it directly, without having to
>code control files for a few hundered table definitions?

  1. ODBC... but it'll be much slower than SQL*Loader.
  2. Have access create a flat file of INSERT's. This'll be just as slow though.

If you're just moving the tables from one DB to another, SQL*Loader really is the way to go. Direct path loads fly!

The control files aren't all that difficult if you're just simply loading data, no filtering, etc.. Once you write the first one, the rest are easy. You might even be able to write a program in Access that'll create the control files for you.

I worked with a consultant once who said Er/Win can create SQL*Loader control files too. If you have Er/Win you can reverse engineer the tables from Access and create the control files automatically.

Hope this helps.

--
Chuck Hamilton
chuckh_at_dvol.com

Never share a foxhole with anyone braver than yourself