Re: Rename ORACLE_SID?

From: Brian M. Biggs <bbiggs_at_cincom.com>
Date: 1996/07/20

To Kim wrote:

> Hello All,
> Does anyone know of an easy method to rename an Oracle 's
> instance? I would think using exp/imp might do the trick, after
> creating a new database, but that takes too long...

I think you can recreate the control file(s) for your database and at that time you can say rename database or something like that. I don't recall the exact commands right now. Check the manual for info on CREATE CONTROLFILE. You might also want to make sure you do an 'ALTER SYSTEM BACKUP CONTROLFILE TO TRACE' so you can get the EXACT syntax for recreating the controlfile.

Good luck,
Brian

--
Brian M. Biggs                             mailto:bbiggs_at_cincom.com
Cincom Systems, Inc.                       voice: (513) 677-7661