Re: V7: VMS or UNIX ?

From: Michael E. Austin <austin_at_inmind.com>
Date: 1996/07/20

It seems that someone took a rabbit trail on the different syntax between UNIX and OPENVMS. I will 'attempt' to give you some reasons for one or the other. (And throw my $.02 worth in on the 'openness' of VMS)

I have used a number of different OS's including VMS (VAX, ALHPA and OPEN), NT, many flavors of UNIX including DYNIX (Sequent box), SCO Unix, Digital Unix (including Ultrix, and OSF/1=DEC-UNIX) SCO Unix, UNIXWARE and LINUX and HP UX. The question really has to do with: What are the system availability requirments for the application 8x5? 24x7? I have not EVER seen a unix box that had a 24x7 i/o intensive database application that could stay up and running more than 30 days at a time. Conversely, I have seen MANY VAX and ALPHA's running (Open)VMS that been up for 200+ days. and a few that have been up for 1100+ days. Just in case you need help, that means that they have not been rebooted in 3+years Most are not rebooted except a) when a device fails and needs to be replace, or b) when they take a serious power hit.

Configuring a CLUSTER is much easier than trying to figure out how to mirror the db on multiple systems. It is getting there, but the one thing the current UNIX boxes cannot guarantee READ consistency across multiple systems. VMS + CLUSTER can!

My overall reason for picking VMS over UNIX is stability & reliability (when the system crashes (if it ever does...) you usually don't have to pray that the filesystem didn't get corrupted causing you days of work to restore.)

Now, on the comment ( Open (HA!) VMS). Open VMS is one of only 3 OS's that has achieved the Xopen XPG4 rating. If you code to the POSIX standard, the code cna be very easily ported to other platforms. However, in my book, the only truly OPEN platform is DOS and the PC. You CANNOT just copy your code from one unix to another and have it work, most times, you can't even re-compile without making changes. And you call that OPEN? BTW if you are running on a VMS system with POSIX installed, you can use unix-like syntax to do whatever. (and if you are real desperate, you can edit your LOGIN.COM file (ie. .login) and add symbols for ALL your unix commands:

ls-la (note no space) :== DIR/DATE/SIZE ls :== DIR
cd :== "SET DEFAULT "
type :== type/page !this is equal to type|more

Oh, and if you want to find a command that you have no clue what it is, but you know what it is you are looking for, ie (I want to search a file for a text string) If you type HELP at the prompt, it will not take you years to figure out that the command you are looking for is SEARCH. Imagine that!! grep?? awk?? sounds like someone trying to toss their cookies! You want to see what the memory looks like, try SHOW MEMORY, in other words it is VERY intuitive. Not what is the most obsure two or three characters I can name this command.

hope this is useful...

Graham Miller wrote:

> hi,
> Relative directories in VMS (and OpenVMS) are:
>
> set def [.<Next Level Down>]
> .
.
.