Re: Problems on NT

From: Andrew Knight <ack_at_tsm.co.uk>
Date: 1996/07/19

In article <4smit2$jua_at_news.mel.aone.net.au>, kat <admin_at_vdoj.vic.gov.au> writes
>Compaq Proliant
>64 Mb RAM
>NT 3.51
>Oracle RDBMS V7.2.2.4.3
>

>We are running the above setup and are getting 2 different errors.
>We are getting ORA-4031 [Out of shared memory when trying to
>allocate 688 bytes] and an Access Violation.
>
>We have upped the SHARED_POOL_SIZE to 5MB, have tried ALTER SYSTEM
>FLUSH SHARED POOL (only a temporary solution anyway), and have tried
>seeing if any packages need to be pinned (none are candidates). We
>upgraded the RDBMS from V7.2.2.4.0 to V7.2.2.4.3, which should have
>fixed this but we are still getting the ORA-4031 error.
>The problem is with Oracle Response but does anyone have a similar
>experience?

Yes, 7.2 is bad in this respect, apparently 7.3 is better (although only just shipping in here in the UK). The bug causing all these 4031 errors is fixed in a version of 7.2 but only for a revision of the full Oracle product not WorkGroup Server.

However, the situation can be improved greatly by setting the following parameter in your init???.ora file;

shared_pool_reserved_size = 8196

Making the shared pool itselt bigger doesn't work!

In our experience it won't solve the problem entirely but does make it a lot better.
>We are also getting ACCESS VIOLATIONS by ORACLE72.EXE reported in
>Dr.Watson, and the database crashes. No messages are issued to the
>Alert log. The problems may be connected, I'm not sure.

We had the same experience, 7.2 does not feel very stable to us on NT we are getting 7.3 ASAP. Our crashes normally were triggered by connecting internal via sqldba72.
>Any advice would be appreciated, a fix is becoming urgent.
>
>TIA,
>
>Andy Horne

Regards,

Andrew Knight                                   e-mail: ack_at_tsm.co.uk
TSM Systems                                     tel   : +44 181 673 7750
Aura House                                      fax   : +44 181 673 1335
53 Oldridge Road
London SW12 8PJ
United Kingdom Received on Fri Jul 19 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message