Re: Help -- Passwords ?????????????????

From: <swiszyns_at_aol.com>
Date: 1996/07/19

In article <Duovx1.G8u_at_boss.cs.ohiou.edu>, austby_at_mail.ctenet.com (A Ustby) writes:

>I'm the DBA at my shop. I have access to SYS id so I can change passwords for
>users. But I have an ORACLE user id that I don't know the password for and
>don't want to change the password. I just want to find out the current
>password for that user. SYS id also allows me to access the table DBA_USERS
>which I can view the fields USER_ID and PASSWORD. The PASSWORD field is
>encrypted. Is there a procedure/program that will decrypt the password.
>
>Thanks for any help.
>
>Art

  • run the following script:

   SPOOL FOO;    SELECT
   'ALTER USER ' || username || ' IDENTIFIED BY VALUES ''' || password ||''';'    FROM sys.dba_users
   WHERE username = 'YOURUSER';

   SPOOL OUT; (Note that the encrypted password must be enclosed in quotes when you alter user)

  • change the user's password and do what you want
  • run foo.lst to change the user's password bac