Dev 2000 and when_mouse_move trigger

From: William A. Mertz <wmertz_at_infocom.net>
Date: 1996/07/19

I am trying to implement drag and dro in a form of mine. I have looked at the library that comes with Dev 2000, but am trying to write my own, both for learning purposes and to customize the feature.

My problem is this: I am calling a package procedure from the form level mouse move trigger to move the dragged item around the screen. But the item only actually moves when I put the mouse in the child window title bar. As much as I move the mouse around on the canvas, then item does not move. But when I put the mouse in the title bar, the item snaps to it's new position.

I have noticed that the flashing cursor in the current item stops flashing while I am moving the mouse around, and starts flashing again while the mouse is in the title bar, suggesting that all normal processing stops until the mouse leaves the canvas.

Can anyone explain this behavior? I would expect the mouse move trigger to fire quite a lot, and even slow the program down, but not halt it entirely!

Anybody know how to use the mouse move trigger without completely stopping the procesing of other actions?

And while I'm at it, is there a way to view, in the debugger, the contents of variables that are global to a package, not in any of the procedures?

Thanks very much to any replys.

Bill
wmertz_at_infocom.net Received on Fri Jul 19 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message